Crosswalks can be marked or unmarked.Learn More
Follow the rules of the road.Learn More
Cross at an intersection or marked crosswalk.Learn More
Bicyclists sometimes need to use main traffic lanes, even if there’s a bicycle lane.
Driving: TIPS for a successful trip.
Driving: RIGHT-OF-WAY RULES to follow.
Motorists must stop and yield to pedestrians …
- at marked and unmarked crosswalks when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk and no pedestrian signal is present.
- if a pedestrian is crossing on the same half of the roadway as the vehicle.
- when emerging from an alley, driveway, or building.
- when turning at intersections.
- when turning at traffic signals, even if the light is green, unless turning with a green arrow.
Motorists, make note! Pedestrians have the right of way at…
- a signalized intersection when the WALK sign is on, when finishing their crossing on a flashing DON’T WALK or flashing red hand, or crossing on a green signal in their direction of travel if no pedestrian crossing signals are present.
- Mid-block crosswalks.
- 4-way stop-controlled intersections.
Tips for Biking
White light on the front, red light
(or red reflector) on the rear of the bike.
- Avoid obstructions and uneven surfaces.
- Make a left turn.
Tips for Walking
Walking: RIGHT-OF-WAY RULES
Pedestrians have the right of way…
- when following crossing signals.
- at crosswalks and intersections where there is no traffic signal.
- at mid-block crosswalks.
- at 4-way stop intersections.
- when facing a “walk” signal to start crossing.
- when facing a flashing “DON’T WALK” when finishing crossing.
- when the signal light is green in their direction of travel if there are no pedestrian signals.
Pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way…
- between two intersections controlled by traffic signals unless there is a painted crosswalk.
- if a driver cannot stop in time to yield right of way.
- when the crossing signal shows a solid DON’T WALK or a red hand sign.
WHERE TO WALK
- Stay on the right half of the crosswalk when crossing.
- Against traffic, on the LEFT side of the road facing traffic, if no sidewalk is present.
- DO NOT cross the street diagonally unless authorized by a traffic signal or sign.